Quilt It Myself

I love beautiful longarm quilting, but I don't love the price tag of having someone quilt it for me. I've been freemotion quilting myself, and maybe my quilts don't turn out as pretty, but they also don't turn out as pricey. I don't sell them, write about them (other than this blog) or sell the patterns at this point, so it makes more financial sense to just do it myself. For me, it's also part of the creative process, so it would bother me to put someone else in charge of finishing my quilt.

Most of the people I've talked to about this seem to be afraid of quilting a large project like that out of fear of ruining it. I'd be lying if I said that I never sewed a fold into the back of a quilt, but in the end, it really just seems like part of the charm. Once you wash it to give it texture, the whole thing just seems to blend in anyway.

I'm feeling a bit lazy and blah at the moment (I've got the flu) but one of these days I think I'll make some tutorials on freemotion quilting. There's really no reason this should be so intimidating. There are some learning curves, but if you prep your quilt correctly, it's really not so hard.

Comments

Popular Posts