And this is the back. I'd made this quilt top a while ago, and it was OK, but it wasn't really exciting for me. My husband suggested that perhaps I'd actually made the back of a quilt. By golly, he was right.
Monday, February 21, 2011
I've even washed it since then, so I should take another picture, but it turned out really nice, especially for my first attempt at this. I may have to make another one sometime.
For those measuring at home, this was two full-sized jelly rolls (around 40-42 pieces.) It turned into about a full sized quilt, although I haven't measured it. If you wanted to make it queen sized, you'd need another jelly roll.
Saturday, February 5, 2011
I finished the top just before the new year, and now I'm finishing the quilting.
When I got the jelly rolls I used for this, I was surprised that they weren't cotton. It reminded me of those old 70's quilts made out of polyester blends, but it seems to be sewing OK.
Tuesday, February 1, 2011
Most of the people I've talked to about this seem to be afraid of quilting a large project like that out of fear of ruining it. I'd be lying if I said that I never sewed a fold into the back of a quilt, but in the end, it really just seems like part of the charm. Once you wash it to give it texture, the whole thing just seems to blend in anyway.
I'm feeling a bit lazy and blah at the moment (I've got the flu) but one of these days I think I'll make some tutorials on freemotion quilting. There's really no reason this should be so intimidating. There are some learning curves, but if you prep your quilt correctly, it's really not so hard.